Pipe problems

Tommy Reynolds Tommy.Reynolds at MegaCoder.com
Thu May 27 17:20:03 UTC 2004

Uttered Jeremy Brown <jeremy at cadre5.com>, spake thus:

> Tommy Reynolds wrote:
>
> >Uttered "Ovidiu Donciu" <ovidiud at apropo.ro>, spake thus:
> >>The pipe maximum size is 4096 bytes . It is any solutions to enlarge the
> >>maximum size of the pipes ?
> >Looking for performance? Then check out using shared memory, perhaps
> >by using either a shared mmap(2) region or, blech, System V IPC
> >shmget() and friends.
> If you're stuck with pipes, you could always do something insane like
> build buffering into the application on the receiving end of the pipe.

I'm not sure that will help much.  It would allow the sender to get
more than 4K ahead of the receiver but each 4K transfer would require
two system calls, two buffer copies and two process reschedules.  Pipes
are just the wrong tool if you want performance.

Cheers!