FC2 ate my console beep

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Thu May 27 20:44:33 UTC 2004

On Thu, 27 May 2004, Christopher K. Johnson wrote:

> Alexander Dalloz wrote:
>
> >Am Do, den 27.05.2004 schrieb Bill Pemberton um 21:37:
> >

> >>I just upgraded my desktop to FC2 and ran into a minor (but bothersome
> >>to me) problem.  I no longer get any beep through the PC speaker.
> >>I've checked for a change in the termcap and such, but I don't see
> >>anything.  Has something configured this to be off now?
> >>

> >modprobe pcspkr
> >
> >Alexander
> >

> Has any decision been made how this will be permanently accommodated?
>
> I've taken to adding it into the entry in /etc/modprobe.conf that loads
> your alsa driver, but others may want a way to make the pc speaker work
> and don't have a sound card. Besides telling new Linux users to
> "modprobe pcspkr" as root every time they boot or edit a startup file to
> make their beep work is less than ideal.

In FC1, you could put commands to load modules in /etc/rc.modules.  They
would load early in the startup process (unlike /etc/rc.local, which is
the last thing done at startup), so that services that needed them would
have them preloaded.

When I asked about it on this list, I was assured that it would continue
to work.  Of course, that falls in the "edit a startup file" category.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu