FC2 ate my system+ RANT

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Thu May 27 21:37:10 UTC 2004

akonstam at trinity.edu said:
>> I guess it was too hard to see that message was dated May 25, a week
>> after
>> the release.  The cause of the problem wasn't narrowed until after the
>> release.
>>
>> --
>> William Hooper
>>
> Well that seems to be true. But when I install FC2 the first messgae I
> see is one that says the partition table is somehow screwed up (my
> words).

Actually it says:
   "Unable to align partition properly. This probably means that
    another partioning tool generated an incorrect partition table,
    because it didn't have the correct BIOS geometry. It is safe to
    ignore, but ignoring may cause (fixable) problems with some
    boot loaders".

> That would be a hint to me that something is wrong.

Not really because, as the message says, in the past this hasn't been a
big issue (and for my Win2k install it wasn't an issue at all).  There was
a long-stupid thread about this on the Fedora-test list before the
release.  If you look at it you will notice the complete lack of technical
info.  That is part of why it made it into the release.  Too much "you
should fix this" and not enough "how can I help troubleshoot this".

--
William Hooperwww