ethtool save

Robert Spangler bms at zoominternet.net
Thu May 27 21:59:35 UTC 2004

On Mon May 24 2004 00:55, Chris Kloiber wrote:

>  > It work, but only if I set the speed to 10, when I try speed 100 the
>  > network wont start.
>  > Thanks.
>
>  That tells me that you have to get the port on the switch set to
>  auto-negotiate. I've seen this before and recently with a Intel e100
>  card and a Cisco switch that was forced to 100/full. The cards would not
>  work correctly unless both the switch and the cards were allowed to
>  negotiate. Gigabit cards are even pickier about it.

Be careful here!! Auto-negotiate is only good if both sides are setup for it.
In order for Duplex to be setup properly both sides either need to be locked
down or setup to auto-negotiate.  If one is hard coded and the other auto the
auto side will default to half.  Reason being is that it has nothing to
auto-negotiate with thus defaults to half.

My advice would be if you want to run at 100/Full then lock both sides down.

--

Regards
Robert

Smile.....  It increases your face value.