menu editing is totally fscked

I just need to get this off my chest: menu editing in FC2 stinks.

If there's a reasonably easy way to do it, I haven't found it.  It
should not be this difficult.

There *was* a moderately easy way to do it in FC1 as described here:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2003-November/msg00750.html
but even that method has evidently gone by the wayside for FC2.  At
least it didn't work for me.

There *might* be a way to do it here: http://fedorafaq.org/#editmenus
but even this author says that he's not sure how to do it in FC2 and
even if it does work, the method described would mean jumping through
*way* too many hoops for what should be a simple task.

I simply not found a simpler, saner method of editing menus.  Has anyone
else?