CPU running half speed on ThinkPad with FC2

Dexter Ang thepoch at mydestiny.net
Fri May 28 05:52:31 UTC 2004

Steven Garrity wrote:
>> Thanks for the reply Warren. Those cpufreq cats give the same results
>> as you have:
>>
>> [root at thinkpad cpufreq]# cat scaling_available_governors
>> userspace performance
>> [root at thinkpad cpufreq]# cat scaling_governor
>> userspace
>>
>> I don't seem to have the "default governor" setting in the BIOS - or
>> at least I couldn't find it.
>>
>> There was a "CPU Power Management" option that toggles between
>> "automatic" and "disabled" (it was disabled, but setting it to
>> automatic doesn't appear to have made a difference).
>>
>> The cpu MHz I get from "cat /proc/cpuinfo" doesn't seem to vary from
>> 1199.133 regardless of what I'm doing.
>

> Pardon my re-post on this, but I'm convinced my ThinkPad T30 is still
> running half-speed, even when plugged-in.
>
> Any other T30 users out there?
>
> Thanks,
> Steven Garrity

I'm a Thinkpad T30 user. I've checked, and yes, plugged-in, the T30
still runs at 1199.205. But when I've run something that goes up to 60%
CPU utilization, it jumps up to 1798 or something like that. I think you
have to script acpid to be able to tell cpuspeed to go up max speed when
plugged in. I'm not too sure though.

Try running something like SETI at home, which will run at around 99%. Then
check your /proc/cpuinfo if it still runs half speed.

My configuration is stock FC2 installation. No configuration tweaking yet.

dex