What is "rhgb" on the grub, kernel line?

François Patte Francois.Patte at math-info.univ-paris5.fr
Fri May 28 07:00:21 UTC 2004

Selon Jim Cornette <jim-cornette at insight.rr.com>:

> reg at dwf.com wrote:
>
> >For Fedora2 (and 1?) grub starts Linux with an argument of
> >
> >    rhgb quiet
> >
> >Where are these kernel arguments described, and what do they do?
> >
> >Ive scanned the kernel sources for the "rhgb" string and dont
> >find it.
> >

> rhgb = redhat graphical boot - This is a GUI mode booting screen with
> most of the information hidden while the user sees a rotating activity
> icon spining and brief information as to what the computer is doing.
>
> quiet = hides the majority of boot messages before rhgb starts. These
> are supposed to make the common user more comfortable. They get alarmed
> about seeing the kernel and initializing messages, so they hide them for
> their comfort.

And when a service has not started you are not aware of this fact and you spend
a lot of time to find out why your network is not working... why you can't make
any ssh from another computer... and so on.

This is really a stupid idea!!

If you don't have the root permission, it is better to phone to your system
administrator, saying :"network has not started at boot time" (because you have
seen the "FAILED" warning) than to say: "something is wrong, I don't know
what!"

Why developpers of linux distributions always want to imitate MS stupidity?

--
François Patte

Inde :
Ecole française d'Extrême-Orient