What is "rhgb" on the grub, kernel line?

Christofer C. Bell cbell at jayhawks.net
Fri May 28 07:04:30 UTC 2004

On Fri, 28 May 2004 09:00:21 +0200, François Patte wrote
> Selon Jim Cornette <jim-cornette at insight.rr.com>:
>
> > reg at dwf.com wrote:
> >
> > >For Fedora2 (and 1?) grub starts Linux with an argument of
> > >
> > >    rhgb quiet
> > >
> > >Where are these kernel arguments described, and what do they do?
> > >
> > >Ive scanned the kernel sources for the "rhgb" string and dont
> > >find it.
> > >

> > rhgb = redhat graphical boot - This is a GUI mode booting screen with
> > most of the information hidden while the user sees a rotating activity
> > icon spining and brief information as to what the computer is doing.
> >
> > quiet = hides the majority of boot messages before rhgb starts. These
> > are supposed to make the common user more comfortable. They get alarmed
> > about seeing the kernel and initializing messages, so they hide them for
> > their comfort.
>
> And when a service has not started you are not aware of this fact
> and you spend a lot of time to find out why your network is not
> working... why you can't make any ssh from another computer... and
> so on.
>
> This is really a stupid idea!!

The graphical boot screen opens a text window and you're presented with the
actual boot messages if any service fails to start. Successful boot messages
are hidden and the user sees a pretty startup screen.  Failed boot messages
are already displayed as expected so the user can take whatever action is
necessary to correct the failure.

At least this is the default behavior of my FC1 system.  I can't imagine that
FC2 behaves any differently.

--
Chris

"Build a man a fire and he will be warm for the rest of the night.  Set
a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life."  -- Unknown