Synaptic downloaded packages

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at web.de
Fri May 28 16:13:51 UTC 2004

Am Fr, den 28.05.2004 schrieb Chadley Wilson um 16:01:
> Hey PPl.
>
> Given that there is an option in synaptic to download files only,

there is. Or use "apt-get -d"

> I was wondering if this feature could be used to install packages on a
> system without internet access. How could I get the downloaded packages
> from synaptic and save them in a local folder?

By default the packages are stored in /var/cache/apt/archives/ and
deleted if you do an apt-get clean /apt-get autoclean or tell synaptic
to do so (in prefs).

> This would be very useful for depenancy problems at the remote station.

you could "yumify" the directory with yum-arch and then make it
available via http or ftp. For localhost only use a dir is sufficient:

e.g. /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources

  dir my-apt-cache /var/cache/apt/archives

will add a new up2date "channel" with your apt-cache.

have fun
Christoph