Windows Domain auth for Linux boxes

Patrick fedora at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Fri May 28 18:12:39 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-05-28 at 19:40, Matt Morgan wrote:
[snip]
> I would like to switch my organization from Windows 2000 professional to
> Linux on the desktop.
[snip]

> It's authentication that worries me. Our servers are a mix of Windows
> 2000/2003 and Linux, and our primary authentication is against Windows
> 2000 Active Directory servers. What we are having difficulty replicating
> under Linux is the ease of domain logins on the workstations, where
> essentially there are no local accounts; the workstation is a member of
> the domain and it trusts domain accounts for local login. So
> authentication is almost entirely centralized; anyone can login to any
> workstation (within limits we set) on the domain, and we don't have to
> do anything to copy accounts to each workstation. While we may
> eventually dispense with the Active Directory servers, they will be with
> us through the transition period (1.5 to 2 years, I estimate) and maybe
> longer, so some system that allows compatible, shared auth between
> Windows and Linux workstations is a requirement for our transition.
[snip]
> Thanks,
> Matt Morgan
> Manager of Information Systems
> Brooklyn Museum

Hi Matt,

I know these are not free solutions but Novell has products like Account
Management, eDirectory and Novell Modular Authentication Service (NMAS)
with single sign-on functionality. Maybe they are a solution.

Good luck and (imho) please keep this list informed of any solutions you
may find.

Regards,
Patrick