Windows Domain auth for Linux boxes

Fri May 28 19:54:57 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-05-28 at 15:14 -0400, Matt Morgan wrote:
...snip...
> (which is specifically the problem I'm trying to solve). Are you using
> samba/winbind? If someone were actually using it and could tell me how,
> in practice, it works out, I'd buy him or her a beer :-). But I will
> check out those docs, thanks.

We have been using this for several years, but can't speak specifically
to FC2 as the server is running WBEL - was previously on RH7.3 and
earlier.  You need to read the docs and decide how you want to handle
passwords - can use Samba-specific passwords or *nix passwords, but
after that, the basic items in /etc/samba/smb.conf we use (simply
uncomment) are:

# OS Level determines the precedence of this server in master browser
# elections. The default value should be reasonable
   os level = 33

# Domain Master specifies Samba to be the Domain Master Browser. This
# allows Samba to collate browse lists between subnets. Don't use this
# if you already have a Windows NT domain controller doing this job
   domain master = yes

# Preferred Master causes Samba to force a local browser election on startup
# and gives it a slightly higher chance of winning the election
   preferred master = yes

# Use only if you have an NT server on your network that has been
# configured at install time to be a primary domain controller.
;   domain controller = <NT-Domain-Controller-SMBName>

# Enable this if you want Samba to be a domain logon server for
# Windows95 workstations.
   domain logons = yes

Phil