only critical packages in minimal installation

Michael mogmios at mlug.missouri.edu
Fri May 28 20:28:29 UTC 2004

> I installed Fedora Core 2 and picked the Custom installation to pick the
> least amount of packages. Upon issuing the "rpm -qa | less" command I
> see a bunch of packages which I'm not sure I need or not like "finger, ftp,
> procmail, rdate, rdist, rsh, talk, telnet" just to name a few. Has
> anyone here figured out which are the critical packages and which can be
> removed without causing any issues, ie. some fedora scripts might need them for
> some reason?

I noticed thie minimal install wasn't very minimal too. I removed a lot of those
packages after installation without any problem. Unfortunately, I didn't keep a
list. I can probably send you a list of the packages I kept though if that'd help.

This is pretty high on my b**** list. Couldn't we see some work done on creating a
real minimal install? The kernel, grub, bash, basic command-line utils, rpm, and
anything else required to boot into a usable system. Usable meaning that you can
logon and get a command-line and edit config files, manage basics such as users
and hardware, and install additional software as desired from rpm or tarballs.
That's it. Nothing else. Under 128MB is a must. Under 64MB would be better.