kernel change/mount change

I just put a dual-cpu MB in my computer and installed
kernel-smp-2.4.22-1.2188.nptl_48.rhfc1.at and since then have noticed
that when the system boots, the / filesystem is first mounted as ext2
rather than ext3 and then remounted as ext3 later. Normally, this isn't
a problem, but in the event that the system is shutdown "dirty" the /
filesystem must be fsck'ed rather than doing a simple journal replay.

Is this an intentional behavior, or has something changed somewhere to
account for this?

--

-John (john os2 dhs org)