Microsoft keyboards

Denny Figuerres denny at figuerres.com
Fri May 28 21:31:14 UTC 2004

Not sure if this will help or not:
I have a USB MS keyboard, when I first got it I had it connected via the
PS/2 port and some keys did not work.
Then I connected it via USB and they worked.
I *THINK* that the MS drivers process some of the "Keys" not as 101/105
"Keystrokes" but as device commands or as a second data stream.
Like having a game pad for example; if that's right then someone would have
to create a driver for Linux that handled all the keys...

Some of them work due to the nature of the IBM 101/105 keyboard design...
In the early days there were a bunch of scan codes that were not in use and
keyboards have started to use them for different things, but if you fill up
the limits of the standard map of scan codes then you have to add more keys
in a way that standard 101/105 keyboard logic can't see.