madwifi for dummies?

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sat May 29 20:16:09 UTC 2004

On Sat, May 29, 2004 at 08:10:17AM -0700, kusti wrote:
> Just installed FC2 and now I want to get my wlan card working. Is
> there any simple instructions howto do that? I couldn't find any
> that would help me. I've installed the madwifi rpm's from
> atrpmps.net but now what? Do I have to recompile kernel? What files
> I should edit? thanks in advance.

check out the madwifi FAQ and wikis at

http://www.mattfoster.clara.co.uk/madwifi-faq.htm
http://madwifiwiki.thewebhost.de/wiki/UserRecipies

First make sure madwifi is the right project for your hardware,
perhaps prism54 (built in FC2 kernel) is more appropriate.

If the rpm is loaded try insterting the card and check dmesg output
for something like

ath_hal: 0.9.8.6
wlan: 0.7.3.1 BETA
ath_pci: 0.8.5.4 BETA
ath_pci: cache line size not set; forcing 32
Setup queue (0) for WME_AC_BK
Setup queue (1) for WME_AC_BE
Setup queue (2) for WME_AC_VI
Setup queue (3) for WME_AC_VO
divert: allocating divert_blk for ath0
ath0: mac 5.6 phy 4.1 5ghz radio 4.5
ath0: 11b rates: 1Mbps 2Mbps 5.5Mbps 11Mbps
ath0: 11g rates: 1Mbps 2Mbps 5.5Mbps 11Mbps 6Mbps 9Mbps 12Mbps 18Mbps 24Mbps 36Mbps 48Mbps 54Mbps
ath0: 802.11 address: 00:09:5b:96:28:c6
ath0: Atheros 5212: mem=0x20800000, irq=3

Then check the FAQ and the wiki pages about how to create init
scripts.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net