Using 120gb USB Drive to Boot Linux

I bought a 120 gb USB hard drive. I plugged it in and was pleasantly suprised than RH 9 saw the drive (looked at dmesg) and I could easily mount it.

I would like to install Red Hat 9 or Fedora Core 2 but neither seem to see the USB drive to allow Linux to be installed on it. I see that the install process loads a driver for the USB drive but that's about it.

I would love to be able to boot directly from the USB drive or at least use a floppy boot disk to start Linux from the USB drive. My new laptop (Dec, 2003, Toshiba Satellite) doesn't seem to allow booting from a USB drive. (In the bios, I only see PC Card and HDD as choices.)

Rick B.