Re: NTPD errors

From: "Andrew Robinson" <awrobinson cox net>

> Mike Chambers wrote:
> > I keep getting this in my logs and can't figure out what the problem is.
> >
> > May 29 11:30:31 scooby ntpd[1202]: can't open /etc/ntp/drift.TEMP:
> > Permission denied
> >
> > Here are the permissions..
> >
> > drwxr-xr-x   2 root root    4096 May  3 08:16 ntp
> >
> > The file does exist....
> >
> > -rw-r--r--  1 root root   1 May  3 08:16 drift.TEMP
> >
> > Permissions problem?
> >

> This is probably not the right answer, but I got rid of those messages
> by changing the permissions on the drift.TEMP file to rw-rw-rw-.

If ntpd is running as something other than root then you need at least
group and world write capability on drift.TEMP if you do not change
the owner (and group) to the ID that ntpd is running under. That file
is updated fairly often while ntpd is running. On my system I have
the ownership as "ntp" in group "ntp". But that's RH-9 so it's possibly
under a different name for Fedora.

{^_^}