FC2 Gnome/KDE went south on me

Andre Costa acosta at ar.microlink.com.br
Sun May 30 23:06:38 UTC 2004

On Sun, 30 May 2004 18:37:01 -0400
Bruce Ecroyd <bruce.ecroyd at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 30 May 2004 19:20:38 -0300, Andre Costa
> <acosta at ar.microlink.com.br> wrote:
> > Anything weird on /var/log/messages or /var/log/XFree86.0.log ? I'm
> > not sure, but ~/.xsession-errors might have some useful stuff, too.
>
> Nothing unusual in the Xfree or xsession, but messages has this entry:
>
> May 30 13:35:49 BorgCube rpc.statd[2338]: unable to register (statd,
> 1, udp). May 30 13:48:49 BorgCube netfs: Mounting other filesystems:
> succeeded

Do you use NFS? If not, you could try disabling it completely:

chkconfig --level 5 nfs off
chkconfig --level 5 nfslock off
chkconfig --level 5 portmap off

('man chkconfig' is your friend ;))

> I have had recently some really odd startups -- a long lag after the
> swap is mounted and the next stage on its way to getting to the fedora
> login screen. Might be a red herring to this problem though.

Your problem could be X-related, but you said you were able to use your
box just fine for a week (also, something would come up on
XFree86.0.log). Any updates within this period?

> Is there a good standalone disk checker -- I'll explore whether I
> might have a disk problem (it's two weeks old). I'd like to cover that
> off before I start reformatting it.

Your HD should SMART-compliant, so you could try using smartctl. Run it
with --help to view all the options, but I suspect '-t' could be useful.
WARNING: your HD must be officially supported by smartctl or you might
get bogus reports. Try 'smartctl -a /dev/...' to see it something useful
comes out of it.

HTH

Andre

--