FC2 Gnome/KDE went south on me

Bruce Ecroyd bruce.ecroyd at gmail.com
Sun May 30 23:32:36 UTC 2004

Hi Andre,

This is helpful stuff.

I turned off the nfs stuff, since I'm not using on my home network.
Might as well eliminate variables, and stuff that will slow me down.

I did some updates this morning -- the updates I did this morning were
from the FC2 site. If I recall they were pretty minor.  (I've applied
all that FC2 had available so far).

The HD fortunately is SMART:

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Device Model:     WDC WD400JB-00ETA0
Serial Number:    WD-WMAHM1427116
SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
SMART support is: Enabled

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED

SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining
LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error
# 1  Short offline       Completed without error       00%       225         -

I ran the short test, and it passed. I feel more confident that the
drive is good -- now on to figure what else happened :)