[Solved] Problem with Synaptics Touchpad: Tapping does not work

Yoichi Aso aso-pc at granite.phys.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Mon May 31 00:24:56 UTC 2004

Hi Jason,

Thank you very much for your prompt and helpful reply !
The method on the page you pointed worked fine.

What I did was following.

I went to http://w1.894.telia.com/~u89404340/touchpad/index.html and
downloaded the latest synaptics module for XF86/X.org, i.e.
synaptics-0.13.2.tar.bz2 .
Then I extracted it and did
make; sudo make install

After that, I tweaked my /etc/X11/xorg.conf and restarted X.
Now I can use tapping and even edge scrolling !
Following is an excerpt from my xorg.conf FYI.

Thank you again, Yoichi.

--------------------xorg.conf-----------------------

Section "ServerLayout"
         Identifier     "single head configuration"
         Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
         InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
         InputDevice    "TouchPad" "AlwaysCore"
EndSection