Configuring ACPI to do useful things?

Brian Kendig brian at enchanter.net
Mon May 31 01:38:28 UTC 2004

I'm using FC2 on my laptop, and ACPI appears to be working, but the
default installation doesn't configure it to do anything interesting.
/etc/acpi/events only contains a script to shut it down when I press
the power button, and that works fine, but I want it to turn off the
screen if it's idle for a period of time, or suspend the laptop if it's
idle for a longer period or if the lid is closed.

Is there any simple way to install more ACPI functionality?  An rpm
that will add more /etc/acpi scripts, for example?  Or is there any way
to configure power management behavior through the Gnome front-end?

Also, how can I get a battery level indicator to appear in the panel?