How to preserve users in new install?

John Walsh dear_grommet at hotmail.com
Mon May 31 10:40:33 UTC 2004

>On Mon, 2004-05-31 at 10:57, Christopher Stone wrote:
> > OT: but why do you want to do a fresh install instead of just upgrading?

>maybe he/she will shift to another distro which is one of my plans ..
>can these be possible? especially if our server is using samba as our
>PDC machine.. can i store the setup?

maybe they have a policy of not overwriting a working system - but they
want to get a seperate system (on a second disk) working first. Then if
the new system had problems, they can just go straight back to the old
system - because they did not 'upgrade' it.

This is what I do, having my disks in caddies...

Doing an 'upgrade' would be simpler I'm sure, until something goes wrong.
Then I'm thinking: well, was the new version installed correctly or is there
really a problem in the new version... ?

No, I'd rather start from scratch and know whats on my disks... and have a
spare disk with a known working system on it...

John.

ps. my answer to the original question - I do exactly what you
suggest and it works for me. But I do keep a lot more files:

./etc
./etc/sysconfig
./etc/sysconfig/network-scripts
./etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
./etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1
./etc/sysconfig/network
./etc/sysconfig/dhcpd
./etc/sysconfig/rhn
./etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2date
./etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources
./etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2date-keyring.gpg
./etc/sysconfig/rhn/systemid
./etc/sysconfig/i18n
./etc/rc.d
./etc/rc.d/init.d
./etc/rc.d/init.d/network
./etc/rc.d/init.d/iptables
./etc/rc.d/init.d/milter-spamc
./etc/rc.d/rc.local
./etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit
./etc/X11
./etc/X11/XF86Config
./etc/httpd
./etc/httpd/conf
./etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf
./etc/mail
./etc/mail/local-host-names
./etc/mail/sendmail.mc
./etc/mail/virtusertable
./etc/mail/access
./etc/hosts
./etc/hosts.allow
./etc/hosts.deny
./etc/resolv.conf
./etc/dhcpd.conf
./etc/group
./etc/passwd
./etc/shadow
./etc/motd
./etc/crontab
./etc/inittab
./etc/sysctl.conf
./etc/modules.conf
./etc/aliases
./etc/ssh/sshd_config
./etc/profile
./etc/cron.daily
./etc/logrotate.d
./etc/yum.conf
./etc/smartd.conf
./usr/lib/powerchute/powerchute.ini

NB. ignore leading '.'

basically, I keep ALL the config files I ever change.

and then I can use them directly or as a reference in the new system...

and I keep all this (and /home) on a second disk, so I only need to
re-install
over the first 'system' disk.

Get a FREE connection, FREE modem and one month's FREE line rental, plus a
US or European flight when you sign up for BT Broadband!