sendmail - kmail - lockfile ?

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Mon May 31 12:55:45 UTC 2004

Am Mo, den 31.05.2004 schrieb John Walsh um 13:34:

> I have a question, see below, which someone was helping me with,
> but their answer does not really cover what I want to know, because
> they say they don't know how kmail works.

Hey, I am not "they" :|

> Anyone have a real/better/full answer to my question ?

Yes: RTFM.

> Which is, in short :- what locking method should I use for Kmail to read a
> local mbox file that sendmail is delivering to ?

Why didn't you just read the Kmail FAQ?

http://docs.kde.org/en/3.1/kdenetwork/kmail/faq.html
--> 6.32. Does KMail lock the folders it uses?

The answer is pretty clear!

So you either have to use a procmailrc filter file, making usage of
locking and directing the mail into your homedir, or - as I said in
private mail - use an IMAP/POP3 server which can handle the situation
proper.

> Extract from below:
>
> >I can't say how Kmail works. It should handle that case proper as long
> >as there is a setup option to get the user's mail by accessing the mbox.
> >You should not care about anything with that.
>
> Yes, Kmail has an option to read 'local mbox' accounts - but you have to
> select the locking method for it - which one should I be using ?

Answered by the Kmail FAQ.

> Thanks,
> John.

[ snipped private mail content ]

Alexander

P.S. Btw. it is very unfriendly to publish (quote) the content of
private / personal mail conversation without asking the other whether
this is ok! Whether the mail contains personal data and information or
not.

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.6.5-1.358
Serendipity 14:46:13 up 15:40, 9 users, 0.17, 0.10, 0.08