losing .so files

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Mon May 31 14:49:03 UTC 2004

Chris Torske wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am coming up with a problem that I have been running into more and
> more often.  I am not sure if I am doing something wrong every time or
> what, just don't understand.
>
> The issue I am coming up with quite often, is that Linux starts to loose
> shared librarys.  To be more specific, right away the system works
> perfectly; knowing where all the shared librarys that is installed is.
> Then slowly and progressively, starts complaining that it can't find a
> random shared library.  It keeps on getting worse and worse, loosing the
> location of more and more of them.  It isn't really loosing them in the
> sense that they aren't on they system.  As like this time around for me,
> yum is saying that it can't find "lib-org-apache-bcel-5.0.so".  I was
> checking the web for a possible location where is it, and maybe
> reinstall the package.  I say it is most times installed in the
> /usr/lib/ directory.  Doing "ls /usr/lib/lib-org-apache-bc*" results
> with "/usr/lib/lib-org-apache-bcel-5.0.so"; the exact file I am
> supposedly missing.  From remembering that most times that directory is
> automaticaly checked, when you run ldconfig.  After running that, yum
> still complains I am missing that same file.  I have tried on other
> times when this has happened, to copy that file around, to pretty much
> every single folder I can find; and still doesn't releave the problem.
> This problem is not has also been happening on me on other distro's too,
> including other versions on kernels.  I have even got it go to the
> point, where the system has even lost the a main rpm library.  I don't
> remember that exact name off hand.  I just installed this copy just
> about 5 days, so it hasn't been too long on this around.  I would really
> like to keep this os for more then a month this time around.  Any ideas
> on how to fix this?  I haven't checked the rpm database yet, I am
> planning to check that tomorrow after work.
>
> Chris T.

I had an issue with one lib file missing and it was due to a different
repository (atrpms) missing the library in their version of the RPM.
When I updated the rpm it removed the FC lib.

I have filed a bug report.

This is one issue of using different repositories.

I traced the problem by finding which package was to supply the
missing lib and then comparing the package from atrpms and FC.

--
Robin Laing