nvidia - kernel (2.6.6) compile causes fc2 to crash

Hi Folks,

to get the nvidia driver running on my system again I tried to compile a
2.6.6 kernel with the 4k stack option disabled. I can run "make
menuconfig" but when I run "make" afterwards it crashes the whole
machine. I saw it crushing on the line: CC [...]/modules.o and
CC /fs/ext2/xattr.o.

Is anybody else experiencing this? How can I trace the cause?

Thanks & Regards,

Chris