Modem connects but no internet

Jason Kretzer jrkretzer at yahoo.com
Mon May 31 20:56:04 UTC 2004

I have used this same procedure many times with other linux distros -- this is my test box -- and the others just worked after I ran wvdialconf.  Everything is the same except the distro.

As an aside, I also tried to use KPPP to connect and it did the same thing.

-Jason

Jason Kretzer <jrkretzer at yahoo.com> wrote:

Hello all,

here is my scenario.

I used wvdialconf and set up my modem.  I have done this various times with no problems.  After connecting to my ISP, I opened mozilla and no websites could be found.  I then opened a terminal and tried to ping a website or two and received location not found(or similar) messages.

I chose to install everything as I wanted to test drive about all of the components.  I have not updated anything.  During installation, I enabled the firewall security but only allowed SSH and WWW(http) through.

Any ideas why I can connect to my ISP but cannot get to any websites or other internet sites?

Thanks,

-Jason