Fedora Core 2 and P4C800 mobo

Mark Fuller mark.fuller at earthlink.net
Mon May 31 21:16:20 UTC 2004

From: "Lukasz Szelag" <javaguy1974 at hotmail.com>
> I read about the bug in FD2 release which prevents it from being
> installed on a P4C800 system. I was wondering if there are any solutions
> to this, for example installing FC1 first and then upgrading to FD2?

I believe the problem you read about is with the ASUS P4P800. I have the
"P4C800 E Deluxe" and installed FC2 without any problems.[1]

It might also be important to distinguish between "Deluxe" and "E Deluxe"
for both boards. I don't know if the P4P800's problem is only with the "E
Deluxe" models or not. Or, if it extends to non-"E Deluxe" models of P4C800.
All I know is FC2 installed on my "P4C800 E Deluxe" (Radeon 9000, normal IDE
hard drive (non-raid), Buslink DVD DVRW412RD).

[1] Actually, I had one problem. I upgraded my bios prior to installing FC2.
I also *excessively* disabled everything in the bios. FC2 installed but eth0
(a card, not the built-in lan on the motherboard) wouldn't come up. It
failed dhcp to my router. I reset the bios values to the default and eth0
began working. I'm not sure if the bios upgrade caused the confusion (and
reseting the bios values to their defaults straightned things up), or if I
disabled something in the bios (and reseting the bios values re-enabled it).
I have a vague recollection of a similar bios upgrade being confused until
the bios default values were restored. I'm thinking it was the bios upgrade
(and not resetting the bios values) that caused my problem.

Mark