FAQ Question? Any FC2 programmers read this?

Marc Lucke marc at marcsnet.com
Mon May 31 22:42:23 UTC 2004

Panu Matilainen wrote:

>On Mon, 31 May 2004, Marc Lucke wrote:
>

>>Stupid question - probably an RTFA one at that so sorry in advance -
>>would this list be looked at by any one of the Fedora coders?  There are
>>many basic Q&As which is good but is there another place for me to ask
>>or relate my problem/s?
>>

>Yes there are developers hanging around on this list as well. Whether your
>question is appropriate for fedora-devel is another matter (which I can't
>answer since you didn't include any of those questions here :)
>Usually it doesn't hurt asking first on fedora-list, it's much more
>catch-all in nature than the other forums.
>
>	- Panu -

Thanks Panu.  Earlier in the list I asked about kernel >= 2.4.24 (I
think) recognising my sata disk as hde and booting from it no problems.
The FC1 kernels never did, though - I had to compile my own.  I was
surprised about the sata section not being in the low-level scsi driver
section but it the kernel worked anyway.  The 2.6 series kernel seem to
have gone back to the bad old days (from my point of view) of needing
libata, that piix module and the other low level scsi drivers.  In fact
to boot my system at all I had to modify the initrd to load these modules.

What I want is the old hde thing back - i.e. ata, not scsi emulation.
When I got the drive as hde it was much faster and my system could be
made to do other things whilst the disk was busy.  I don't really want
to compile my own kernels or mess about with the initrd because this
means work for me everytime there is a kernel update just to get it working!

It is a 865PE chipset on a Gigabyte 8IPE1000PRO2 m/b, ich5.

If anyone else has this computer setup and has the same problems I am
happy to help them get to where I am which, at least, is working.  Love
the way 2.6.5 handles memory!  Very snappy kernel.

Marc