Missing Screesavers in KDE

kenewton admin_x-linux at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 10 21:44:36 UTC 2004

I hesitate to interrupt these fascinating emails regarding problems
with FC3, but I have a minor problem running KDE 3.3 on FC2.

A couple of days ago, I noticed that the list of screensavers that
appears in Control Panel > Appearance & Themes > Screen Savers is no
longer being loaded. When I log in as root, the list is populated. When
I log in as a different user, the list is being populated. But when I
log in my normal account, the list is totally blank.

I posted this on a few forums (FedoraForum.org, KDE Forum.org, and
LinuxQuestions.org). I received a few responses, but none of them
worked. Just so you know what I've tried, here are those responses:

---------------
Response #1

Try to create these links (as root):

 ln -s /usr/X11R6/lib/xscreensaver /usr/lib

 ln -s /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xscreensaver/config/ /etc/xscreensaver

----------------
Response #2

locate and check the perms for :
 kcm_screensaver.la
 kcm_screensaver.so
 libkscreensaver.la
 libkscreensaver.so
 libkscreensaver.so.4
 libkscreensaver.so.4.2.0

I have a feeling that I am missing a configuration file in my personal
account that Control Panel reads to load the screen saver list. If know
what that was I could possibly recreated it or copy it from the root
account.  I may be grasping at straws there, though.

Apparently, I'm not the only one who is experiencing this problem,
either. A couple of people responded that they were experiencing the
same or similar problems.  None of use can figure this out.  I would
appreciate any help anyone may be able to offer.

Regards,

Kent Newton