remote control of dual boot

Timothy Payne tim at tmpco.com
Fri Nov 12 04:40:04 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-11 at 02:09 -0800, Stewart Nelson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a conventional dual-boot system:
> Win XP on IDE primary master, grub in MBR,
> FC2 on primary slave.
>
> If either Windows or FC2 is running, I can
> access it with VNC.  Of course, a reboot will
> switch to the default OS, if the other is running.
> However, I don't know how to switch back.
>
> Is there a good way to boot FC2 from Windows?
> Or to boot Windows from FC2?
>
> If not, is there an easy way to edit grub.conf
> from Windows, so I could change the default to
> Fedora and then reboot?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Stewart

This is for my win98 drive but you can give it a try:
# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this
file
# NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
#          root (hd0,0)
#          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda2
#          initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/hda
default=0
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Fedora Core (2.6.9-1.667)
	root (hd0,0)
	kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
	initrd /initrd-2.6.9-1.667.img
title win98
	map (hd0) (hd1)
	map (hd1) (hd0)