remote control of dual boot

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Sat Nov 13 00:21:25 UTC 2004

Mostafa Z. Afgani wrote:

> Stewart Nelson wrote:
> | Hi,
> |
> | I have a conventional dual-boot system:
> | Win XP on IDE primary master, grub in MBR,
> | FC2 on primary slave.
> |
> | If either Windows or FC2 is running, I can
> | access it with VNC.  Of course, a reboot will
> | switch to the default OS, if the other is running.
> | However, I don't know how to switch back.
> |
> | Is there a good way to boot FC2 from Windows?
> | Or to boot Windows from FC2?
> |
> | If not, is there an easy way to edit grub.conf
> | from Windows, so I could change the default to
> | Fedora and then reboot?
> |
> | Thanks,
> |
> | Stewart
> |
> I'd be interested in a reply too as I'm on the same boat ;). The only
> method that comes to my mind is to setup the dualboot handling through
> the boot.ini of windows but that's a whole lot more complicated than
> GRUB is.
>
> Looking forward to replies,

I use the "savedefault" command in my grub.conf.  It "sets" the last OS
I booted to be the default, so if there is a powerfail, the last OS I
was running comes back up.  Not all that useful if you want to reboot
into the other though.  Making the /boot partition a (v)FAT partition
sounds like the best way to solve this to me, then it should be editable
from either OS.  I've found that emacs on the windows side can preserve
the NLs, of course DOS2UNIX can be your friend too, you just need one
that runs on windows!  B^)

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com