access to USERS AND GROUPS without privilege

shrek-m at gmx.de shrek-m at gmx.de
Tue Nov 16 12:32:16 UTC 2004

Paul Howarth wrote:

>> $ rpm -qf `which  pam-panel-icon `
>> usermode-gtk-1.74-1
>>
>> it seems that the key-icon is not displayed if you execude a
>> root-application from the gnome-terminal.
>> it would be nice if someone could give me a hint how to
>> change/control the time for "keeping authorization" for this one
>> because there is no visual control.
>
> The posting at http://www.spinics.net/lists/pam/msg03703.html suggests
> that this is a non-trivial thing to change.

$ man pam_timestamp
eg.  system-config-network , keep authorization for 20 sec

----
# grep timestamp /etc/pam.d/system-config-network
#auth       sufficient  pam_timestamp.so
auth       sufficient   pam_timestamp.so timestamp_timeout=20
session    optional     pam_timestamp.so
----

authorization is lost after 20 sec  from gnome-terminal and from gnome-menu
but pam-panel-icon - key is displayed for 5 minutes :-)

it would be great if this could be done via
/etc/security/timeout.conf  /etc/security/pam_env.conf
or
/etc/sysconfig/pam
or   ...

--