List etiquette question

ghod ghod at rcn.com
Sat Nov 20 13:56:03 UTC 2004

Leonard Isham wrote:

>On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 08:54:10 -0600, Aleksandar Milivojevic
><amilivojevic at pbl.ca> wrote:
>

>>Shaffer Paul wrote:
>>

>>>It appears to me, someone (or some subset of the group) is attempting to "establish" a custom.  This friction has cropped up quite frequently here.  Evidently there is some significant dissent on the topic, so I personally view claim to right or wrong with strong skepticism, adhereing to the "each his own" philosophy.
>>>

>>It is not some group of people attempting to establish a custom.  The
>>custom was established in the very early days of Internet (you know,
>>Internet and email existed long time before term "the web" was
>>invented).  Basically, that "group of people" is just trying to defend
>>something good.
>>
>>Interesting statistical note:  Most people that ask questions are
>>top-posters.  Most people who give good answers are bottom-posters.
>>Tells something ;-)
>>

>To put it bluntly you are much more likely to get a kinder, gentler,
>more accurate and helpful response if you don't top post.
>
>Consider the number of post to this list alone and then consider that
>all the help is freely given... Who gets the most help the convoluted
>top posted plea for help or the easily understood request.  Which one
>gets deleted with out a response more often?

your arguement is invaild read below.

Look I hate to really burst the bubble of all the holy than thou people
on this list.....

A) 75% say they HATE top posters and will refuse to help them

ANSWER: new topics (you know for help) should be NEW posts so this
arguement is irrelevant

B) to each his or her own

ANSWER: there are times when top posting is not only needed but a nice
touch, like to say TY or to post to the group a list from a different
group so it can be set in context.

C) give it a REST

ANSWER: FLAME WARS over stupid off-topic things waste everyone elses time!
and this topic has been BEAT TO DEATH

Ghod

P.S I post BOTH WAYS I guess I'm just confused.