Gnome 2.8 file association problem

Richard Quint rquint at vcccd.net
Tue Nov 23 16:39:20 UTC 2004

After a clean install of Fedora Core 3 I changed the default application
to open html files from Epiphany to Firefox.  After doing this I no
longer can open an html file by left double clicking or by right
click->Open.  Right click->Open With still works.  When I do right
click->Properties I get the file association dialog with radio buttons
to change the default application (Firefox, Epiphany,Xemacs, ...) but
changing the default has no effect.  Also the Delete application button
is greyed out in the dialog.  This hasn't effected the default
applications for other file types-e.g., left double-clicking a text file
opens it in gedit. Where is the setting kept?

A second Gnome question.  I have tried googling for help on how to
associate a particular type of XML file (known by its extension) with a
default application without success.  Anyone know how to do this?  The
application is Maple 9.5, which saves its worksheets as XML files with
the extension .ms.

Richard Quint
rquint at vcccd.net