/var versus /srv: will this ever be cleaned up?

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Fri Nov 26 08:43:09 UTC 2004

On Thu, Nov 25, 2004 at 02:21:59PM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   what are people doing in terms of starting to officially use the
> /srv directory?  symlinks?  such as
>
>   /var/www -> /srv/www
>   /var/yp -> /srv/yp

I'm using

/srv/<project>/{www,ftp,dns,rsync,...}

You could also reverse the hierarchy and have /srv/<service>/<project/context>

since both are valid approaches and the chosen one depends on your
particular setup, I beleive there will be no further mandatory setup
layed out.

> etc, etc.  i realize the FHS is still completely vague on how /srv is
> going to be used.  i'm just curious about what some folks are doing
> with it, if anything.

I love having a single tree for backing it up/mirroring it! :)
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net