text based install with FC1 on an old pentium

Timothy Payne tim at tmpco.com
Mon Nov 1 06:35:43 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-10-31 at 20:41, kevin anthony wrote:

> > Subject:
> > text based install with FC1 on an old pentium
> > From:
> > kevin anthony <panther3e at access4less.net>
> > Date:
> > Sun, 31 Oct 2004 01:43:16 -0400
> > To:
> > fedora-list at redhat.com
> >
> > To:
> > fedora-list at redhat.com
> >

> > Hi, I'm trying to install FC1 on an old pentuim machine.  Its a 75 mhz
> > with a 850 meg hd. I try the install but when i get asked the question
> > its time to install i hit proceed and it does nothing and then after a
> > bit i get and error and it shuts down.  I have tried several times and
> > sometimes i get farther sometimes not.  Any help would be aprcieated.
> >
> > Thant you, Kevin

> I forgot to mention that it will not boot from cd and that it does not
> dos on it so i can not access the disk to get the boot floppies.  I
> downloaded the boot disk and root disk image to my hard drive but could
> not copy it to a formatted floppy i would get an error saying file to
> big for the disk.  I was lucky and found my install disks from a
> slackware 3.5 install i had done years ago.
>
> Thanks for all of the help. I figured out the problem i think i was
> using the wrong distro.  I used slackware and it went great.
>
> That was my first post here and am a bit disappointed.  I guess I was
> not controversial or wanting something more exotic.  I was just trying
> to get some help with a simple install on an old computer so my son and
> i can learn command line and not tie up my main linux box in the process.
>
> Sorry don't mean to bitch or whine just frustrated.
> Kevin

I don't know how but I'm sure you can only install a minimum
installation with out X and use the text install.  I'm sure some one
else has the answer.  Or you could drop back a few versions of Red Hat
to see if it will run on your machine.  When your FC boots does it ask
how you want to install?  I can't remember what the start up asks for.

Tim...