USB to Serial interface to Meade Telescope

HaJo Schatz hajo at hajo.net
Mon Nov 1 09:37:12 UTC 2004

On Sun, October 31, 2004 5:47, Chuck_Sterling said:
> Chuck_Sterling wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to get KStars to control my Meade telescope mount with #497
>> controller. The setup is a USB to serial converter to the scope
>> controller.

It's been long since I used these converters under Linux. At the time (and
I guess it's still the same today) only very few of these adapters were
supported. You'll need kernel support (or a module) for the converter, so
you should start by scanning the kernel docs or the kernel-config to see
whether your converter is there. You may also want to check
http://www.linux-usb.org/ whether anything is known about your particular
converter.

Kernel documentation will then help you further in identifying the correct
serial port device you'll have to configure in KStars.

Your last solution might be to purchase a converter being "officially
supported".

HaJo

--
HaJo Schatz <hajo at hajo.net>