controling FC2 with VNC

YigalB byigal at zahav.net.il
Mon Nov 1 15:39:12 UTC 2004

>>I want to control my Linux PC from my XP machine - mainly because I
>>have no space for another VGA terminal. I installed VNC. At
>the moment,
>>I can start a new X session on the FC2 and thats great - but this is
>>not the main X session that is active in the FC2, so whenever I shut
>>down the XP (the conreoling computer) - all the processes that I
>>created in the FC2 (the controlled computer) are being killed.
>>
>>My target is to work from the XP on the FC2 directly - and
>not to open
>>a new X session.
>>
>>How can I do that?
>
>Have a pre-started X session that you connect to from the XP
>box. You never close that session, just close your VNC client
>on XP. In this example, the session is available on port 5901.
>
>1.  Make sure the VNC server is running
>
># chkconfig --list vncserver
>vncserver       0:off   1:off   2:off   3:on   4:on   5:on   6:off
>
>2.  Add a line to /etc/sysconfig/vncservers to start up a VNC
>server for your use from XP under your non-root user id:
>
># cat /etc/sysconfig/vncservers
># The VNCSERVERS variable is a list of display:user pairs.
>#
># Uncomment the line below to start a VNC server on display :1
># as my 'myusername' (adjust this to your own).  You will also
># need to set a VNC password; run 'man vncpasswd' to see how #
>to do that.
>#
># DO NOT RUN THIS SERVICE if your local area network is
># untrusted!  For a secure way of using VNC, see
># <URL:http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/sshvnc.html>.
>
>VNCSERVERS="1:myuserid"
>
>3.  in ~/.vnc, create a file called "xstartup"
>
># cat xstartup
>#!/bin/sh
>
># Uncomment the following two lines for normal desktop:
># unset SESSION_MANAGER
># exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
>
>[ -x /etc/vnc/xstartup ] && exec /etc/vnc/xstartup
>[ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
>xsetroot -solid grey
>vncconfig -iconic &
>exec gnome-session &
>
>After getting all this done, restart the vncserver daemon and
>you'll have your session ready and waiting for you

Thank you! I id it (the files were there,, I just had to uncomment one
line) - and I think it works. Let me see if I understand: It's not like
I wanted (to have a "video camera" looking at the FC2 screen). Instead,
I can start X session from my XP, to close it - and to get back to it
again. Even if I shut down my XP - I can relogin with VNC and see the
same X session I started before (assuming the FC2 is always on).
Am I right? If yes - that's good enough for me, as I can finally use the
FC2 as the home server without keyboard, mouse and VGA.