Is it worth it?

Mike Noble mgnoble at cox.net
Mon Nov 1 17:36:26 UTC 2004

HaJo Schatz wrote:

>Duncan,
>

>>Over the last three days I have created around 10 CD ROMS and one DVD in
>>my
>>attempt to try Linux on one or all of my three computers:
>>

>Try not to jump around too much, you're just getting more confused than
>anything else. Try to be consequent, stick to a chosen path. That way
>you'll learn a lot along the way.
>

>>P2 MMX 200Mhz 82 Mb memory
>>

>It might be on the lower end to give you a decent experience, especially
>if you want (and you will want I guess) a GUI environment.
>

>>AMD Duron 1000Mhz 256 Mb memory
>>

>This will be perfectly fine to fiddle around with.
>

>>No success at all worth noting.
>>

>Decide if you want Fedora Core. If yes, start installing it and tell us
>exactly where your problems are, where do you get stuck?
>
>If you decide for another distro, ask the right guys through the right
>channel instead.
>
>HaJo

Duncan,

HaJo has some good advice, stay with on distro to get used to it.  Two find
distro's are Fedora Core 2 and Mandrake 10.0.  Since you are already on this
list (Fedora) I would suggest that you stay with it.  The best thing to do
is to take notes as you install Fedora Core 2.  This way when you run into
problems you can let people on the list know what you did.  It may take several
attempts at installing before you get it the way you like, you may get it the
first time, either way thats part of the fun.  When you do have problems, you
need to give as much info as possible to the list so that others know what is
going on and have a better chance of helping you solve the problem.
Linux is a great OS but if you have never used it before it can seem overwhelming,
do not get discouraged in no time you will never think about using Windows again.

Mike