Friends afraid of Linux?

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Mon Nov 1 21:27:59 UTC 2004

Frank Pineau wrote:

> Date:
> Mon, 1 Nov 2004 11:33:11 -0700

> On Mon, 2004-11-01 at 17:43 +0000, James Wilkinson wrote:
>
>>Robin Laing wrote:
>>
>>>Anybody know of a Windows that runs on a CD/DVD just in case?
>>
>>Well, there is Windows PE:
>>http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/winpreinst/windowspe_tech.mspx
>

> You might also try BartPE, which is a PE + plugins to run any number of
> additional apps.
>
> http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/
>
> There are also a couple of commercial ones such as ERD Commander.

I am going to give BartPE a try if I can find a computer with Windows
XP on it to make a copy with.

It looks like I am going to be getting a piece of hardware that will
require Windows to update/upgrade once or twice a year.  I am going to
see if the software will run in Wine but I doubt it as it requires
control of a comm port.

--
Robin Laing