terminal freezes occationally

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 2 02:21:04 UTC 2004

On Sun, Oct 31, 2004 at 11:09:41PM -0800, netmask wrote:
> >Hmm.. sounds interesting...
> >
> >I see a Konsole process and a bash process.  When I strace the
> >Konsole process I get a series of things... I don't know what I'm
> >doing or what they mean... 'ioctl (3, FIONREAD, [Y])' appears a lot
> >with Y=0 or 32... anyway, it's responsive.
>
> That's pretty normal behavior..  The 32 is telling you how long that line
> is, if you did 'strace -s 200 -p $pid', it would be a lot more noisy and
> not truncate so small.
>

> >OTOH, when I 'strace -p' the frozen bash process, I get:
> >
> >Process XXXX attached - interrupt to quit
> >ioctl(0, TCSETSW
>
> The ioctl function manipulates the underlying device parameters of special
> files. (from man)
>
> It looks like it is apparently waiting for something to happen.

It might be valuable to run the application under "screen".
Screen will keep a pseudo terminal alive even if the current terminal
session is trashed.

Try
	screen
	vi /tmp/watchme

Kill the terminal session (click on the X in the upper right)

Start a new terminal session

        screen -r

You might also use the gnome-terminal   Menubar and reset the
terminal.

You might also keep track of the tty then see what the tty values
are over time.

 stty -a < /dev/pts/3

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	May your cup runneth over with goodness and mercy