NoMachine

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com
Tue Nov 2 05:56:16 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-02 at 13:00, Rick Lim wrote:
> I already use a ssh tunnel for VNC, which over a modem is still slow,
> NoMachine is advertised as being a lot quicker, so I was going to try it to
> compare, and if it was faster then I would use it instead.

Mind you.. .You mention in your original post that you wanted to do some
admin work using the GUI. Now you state that you want tp try out NX.

Why don't you do this, use NX, determine if it's faster, then make a
fair assessment of _how_ much you're willing to risk in terms of
security.

I understand that the way NX does things may be a lot quicker (I've not
tried it myself) since it uses some kind of X
compression/proxing/caching, but since you want to run as root, the risk
still prevails over speed increase.