2.4 kernel problem

John Logsdon j.logsdon at quantex-research.com
Tue Nov 2 12:58:04 UTC 2004

I have FC2 installed from scratch on an Athlon system and I have been
trying to install a couple of 2.4 kernels (2.4.24 and 2.4.27) both of
which are bespoke.  Both are compiled on the machine in question.

In both cases, the mouse does not start and the ethernet card does not
start.  The boot.log message show:

network: ifup: interface 'eth1' not found

and

gpm O0o.oops(): [server_tools.c(76)]: Could not open /dev/input/mice

although the subsequent messages claimed that gpm and eth1 had been
started successfully.

As a result, X doesn't start and I can't network the machine.

It may be a header or similar problem - I have another machine that has
been upgraded from RH8 to FC2 without problem while FC2 of course installs
a 2.6 kernel.

Can anyone advise (a) if this is likely to be the problem and (b) what I
should do about it?

TIA

John

John Logsdon                               "Try to make things as simple
Quantex Research Ltd, Manchester UK         as possible but not simpler"
j.logsdon at quantex-research.com              a.einstein at relativity.org
+44(0)161 445 4951/G:+44(0)7717758675       www.quantex-research.com