compiling FC2 kernel

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue Nov 2 15:38:20 UTC 2004

abhijit kumar wrote:
> sir!
>    perahaps i was n't able to express my requirements by the above
> mail(sorry for that). i want to edit boot loader configuration for
>   kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.5-1.358 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
>
> like some "kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda5". but i don't
> know what i should write in place of LABEL. i.e. /dev/hda2 , /dev/hda3
> or /dev/hda5.
>
>                       so; kindly read the following files and suggest
> me what should i do.
>
> My Grub.conf file is :--
>
> # grub.conf generated by anaconda
> #
> # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
> # NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
> #          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
> #          root (hd0,2)
> #          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda5
> #          initrd /initrd-version.img
> #boot=/dev/hda
> default=1
> timeout=10
> splashimage=(hd0,2)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> title Fedora Core (2.6.5-1.358)
>        root (hd0,2)
>        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.5-1.358 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
>        initrd /initrd-2.6.5-1.358.img
> title Other
>        rootnoverify (hd0,0)
>        chainloader +1

OK, you should keep the existing kernel as an option so that when/of you have
problems with your custom kernel then you have a known-working option you can use.

Supposing you call your custom kernel vmlinuz-custom, and that you make an
initrd called initrd-custom.img (both in /boot), add the following lines to
the end of your grub.conf:

title Fedora Core (My Custom Kernel)
	root (hd0,2)
	kernel /vmlinuz-custom ro root=/dev/hda5
	initrd /initrd-custom.img

If you don't build an initrd, just omit the last line.

Next time you reboot, you should have a third item in your grub boot menu,
which can be used to boot your custom kernel.

> As, you want to know about what parameters i am going to change? i 'm
> going to change the "sched.c"  parameters.

Ah, I thought you meant parameters passed to the kernel at boot time, which
could just be added into the grub.conf file.

Paul.