2.4 kernel problem

David Jansen jansen at strw.leidenuniv.nl
Tue Nov 2 16:34:41 UTC 2004

On Tue, Nov 02, 2004 at 12:58:04PM +0000, John Logsdon wrote:
> I have FC2 installed from scratch on an Athlon system and I have been
> trying to install a couple of 2.4 kernels (2.4.24 and 2.4.27) both of
> which are bespoke.  Both are compiled on the machine in question.
>
> In both cases, the mouse does not start and the ethernet card does not
> start.  The boot.log message show:
>
> network: ifup: interface 'eth1' not found
>
> and
>
> gpm O0o.oops(): [server_tools.c(76)]: Could not open /dev/input/mice

/dev/input/mice is the devicename used by the 2.6 kernel, under 2.4 it
was usually /dev/mouse, but this was then a link to the actual device,
and which device to use depends on the type of mouse (serial, ps/2, usb etc)

Perhaps something similar is happening to your network card. Maybe the
name of the kernel module changed, or maybe the device is simply not
supported by the 2.4 kernel. But without knowing what type of network
card you have it is difficult to come to any conclusions here.

David Jansen