modprobe bcm5700 hangs with 2.6.8.1

Sameer Kamat sameer at unitrends.com
Tue Nov 2 17:32:07 UTC 2004

Hi,
    I have a AMD Opteron multiprocessor system with 3 network cards
and I am trying to configure the network with no luck so far.
The cards are Broadcom Netxtreme cards 5701 and 5704.
I have compiled the latest bcm5700 driver for the 2.6.8.1 kernel..
But when I run modprobe bcm5700 it just sits there
and hangs. No eth* devices are created. In the README file for the
driver source, it is stated that the driver is tested up 2.6.7 kernel build.
    Would anyone please give me some pointers to help diagnose this issue?
/var/log/messages shows no other error messages pertaining to eth*.

Thanks,
Sameer.