manually assigned mac address

Andrey Andreev andreev at cs.helsinki.fi
Tue Nov 2 18:44:21 UTC 2004

Richard Worwood wrote:
> as I suspected the ifconfig hw ether statement works just fine,
> unfortunately however when I specify a HWADDR within the config file it
> just errors telling me that the mac specified doesn't match the one on
> the card.

As Chris Johnson wrote:

<quote>
In any case inspection of the ifup script and testing indicate that it
is possible to do within the interface configurations.  Include the
following directive in your /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethX
configuration file, substituting the desired mac address:
MACADDR=00:11:22:33:44:55
</quote>

Good luck,

Andro

PS: Please don't top post. It makes answering hard.