usb/kernel problem

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Wed Nov 3 08:26:32 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-11-03 at 04:38, Jonathan Berry wrote:
> I don't think I can help with the usb problems, but as far as the kernel source.
>
> $ yum list kernel-sourcecode
>
> Name                                Arch   Version                  Repo
> kernel-sourcecode                   noarch 2.6.8-1.521
> fedora-us-2-updates
>
> Why there is a kernel-source and kernel-sourcecode, I have no idea.

It's a historical thing. kernel-source RPMs always used to be .i386.rpm
instead of the more logical .noarch.rpm. Most of the update managing
software like yum and up2date will not update to a new version of an RPM
with a different architecture, so in order to make the change to
.noarch.rpm it was necessary to use a different package name,
kernel-sourcecode, and have that package obsolete the old package,
kernel-source.

The change is only going to be short-lived of course because FC3 will
supply only the .src.rpm and not bother with the "binary" source code
package at all.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>