Sendmail FC2

Jonathan Allen jonathan at barumtrading.co.uk
Wed Nov 3 11:09:50 UTC 2004

Paul,

> You can enable relaying for 192.168.1.* by adding the following line to
> /etc/mail/access:
>
> 192.168.1	RELAY

Wonderful - that part is working just fine.

Now, for my next question.  The old mail server on the network is running
Redhat 6.2, and was connected via a UUCP link.  linuxconf back in those
days didn't handle the sendmail config very well, so I always had to tweak
the sendmail.cf file by hand.  It contains (and still does, for this part
of the hardware is still installed at the moment) the following lines:

   DMfred.com
   DSmirror
   DNuucp-dom

This means that all outgoing mail from that server is sent by uucp to a
UUCP host (defined in the UUCP subsystem files) 'mirror' which acts as a
smart-host for onward delivery.

I want to have the old host (for the moment) forward all its outgoing
mail onto the new server (the one we just got working above), so tried
changing those lines to:

   DMfred.com
   DSmailgate
   DNsmtp

where mailgate is defined in /etc/hosts on that server.  All of a sudden,
instead of being placed in the outgoing UUCP queue, all the mail is now
held in /var/spool/mqueue with the legend (Deferred: No route to host)

There is also a maillog entry saying:

   to=jonathan at barumtrading.co.uk, ctladdr=root (0/0), delay=00:01:40,
   xdelay=00:00:19, mailer=smtp, relay=relay-1.mail.demon.net.
   [194.217.242.208], stat=Deferred: No route to host

Demon Internet is the ISP concerned, and would be the destination once the
email had reached the new mail server.  But I haven't allowed the LAN machines
any real access to the 'Net (everything goes through proxies on the firewall)
so it is right to say that it can't route directly to Demon's machine, but I
can't see how the old server thinks that it should deliver it directly - why
doesn't it just open the SMTP port on the new server and deliver it there ?

Jonathan