MSA & MTA & Milters Was [Re: Firewall and NAT]

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Wed Nov 3 11:11:10 UTC 2004

Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-11-03 at 18:53, Paul Howarth wrote:
>>Is this what you want (the milters)? I'm still composing a reply to another
>>email about having separate milters on the MSA and MTA.
>
> On outgoing emails? No. I want them to bypass the MTA and go straight to
> the MX.

Right, so you want to use one of the solutions I outlined in the `Sendmail
Milter Question' thread. I think having two instances running is rather
wasteful so I'd suggest upgrading to 8.13.x or at least rebuilding 8.12.x with
-D_FFR_MILTER_PERDAEMON if you're running sendmail 8.12.x. It's much simpler
that way.

> Hmm.. this may prove to be futile since in the company, with no I-net
> access, emails gets set out via the FALLBACK_MX (whcih is actually the
> SMART_HOST equilvalent, only better)

That should still work with the MSA.

> But hang on, sending local emails to local users still go through the
> milters. Which I Don't want.
>
> Objective. All outgoing emails from Evo, gets sent to port 587, and then
> goes to the recipient.

Understood.

Paul.